DRUID HILLS-OLMSTED DOCUMENTARY RECORD
Click Text above to see SELECTED TEXTS & CORRESPONDENCE
Between the Olmsted Firm and Kirkwood Land Company
Druid Hills enjoys both national and local designations.
The Druid Hills community has within its boundaries four National Register Districts (Druid Hills, Emory Grove, Cameron Court, University Park-Emory Highlands-Emory Estates) and two locally-designated districts that protect, preserve, and enhance this very special neighborhood.
National designation identifies; local designation protects.
Two local districts protect Druid Hills: the DeKalb County Historic District and the City of Atlanta Landmark District. These local designations protect the qualities that we love about our late 19th century/early 20th century neighborhood.
The DeKalb County Historic District protection takes the form of guidelines; and the City of Atlanta Landmark District protection takes the form of zoning.
External changes to properties in Druid Hills need a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA).
The DeKalb County Historic Preservation Commission and the Atlanta Urban Design Commission grant COAs on the basis of the Druid Hills Historic District Guidelines and the Druid Hills Landmark District regulations. This simple process provides protection for Druid Hills and for property owners. (Your neighbor cannot do something inappropriate for the ‘look’ and sense of place that is Druid Hills.)
Join the Druid Hills Civic Association Historic Preservation Committee! Eternal vigilance is the price of preservation too. (with apologies to Thomas Jefferson) For more information contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
The History of Historic Preservation in Druid Hills
1938 – Druid Hills Civic Association founded
1966 – National Historic Preservation Act passed by Congress
1975 – Ponce de Leon Parks and Parkway listed on National Register of Historic Places. Emory University (historic core of campus) listed on National Register
1979 – Druid Hills (original 1400 acres) listed on National Register (incorporating Parks and Parkway listing into one District)
1982 – Druid Hills designated an HCC (Historic and Cultural Conservation) District by City of Atlanta with 2 sub-areas: Ponce de Leon Avenue and Fairview Road. Cameron Court listed on National Register
1989 – Comprehensive Atlanta Historic Preservation Act passed – name change: from HCC District to Landmark District (highest form of protection because of number of criteria met)
1994 – DeKalb County passes historic preservation legislation
1996 – Druid Hills Local Historic District designated by DeKalb County
1998 – University Park-Emory Highlands-Emory Estates listed on National Register
2000 – Emory Grove listed on National Register
2001 – Third sub-area added to City Landmark District: Springdale, Oakdale, Lullwater Roads and Lullwater Parkway
2003 – Briarcliff Normandy Apartments listed on the National Register
Atlanta City Government