Druid Hills Logo

Founded in 1938 to preserve the beauty, serenity, and unique heritage of the Druid Hills neighborhood.

Login

historic preservation

Druid Hills enjoys both national and local designations.

The Druid Hills community encompasses four National Register Districts (Druid Hills, Emory Grove, Cameron Court, and University Park-Emory Highlands-Emory Estates) and two locally-designated districts. Together they protect, preserve, and our beautiful late 19th/early 20th century neighborhood.

A national designation identifies boundaries of the historic area(s) while a local designation actively protects it through zoning laws and/or guidelines. The DeKalb County Historic District and the City of Atlanta Landmark District respectively protect the parts of Druid Hills that lie within DeKalb County and those that lie within the City of Atlanta.

Homeowners in Druid Hills who wish to make external changes to their properties must apply for and receive a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) before proceeding with their plans. Depending on where the homeowner lives, the DeKalb County Historic District guidelines or the City of Atlanta Landmark District zoning laws will be used in evaluating his or her application.

This process protects Druid Hills and its property owners. It prevents construction and alterations that may not be in keeping with the historic architecture and streetscape of Druid Hills.

For more information please contact dekalbhistoric@druidhills.org or atlantahistoric@druidhills.org.

If you are interested in reading Selected Texts & Correspondence between the Olmsted Firm and the Kirkwood Land Company, which originally developed Druid Hills during the 1890s, please see: DRUID HILLS-OLMSTED DOCUMENTARY RECORD.

The History of Historic Preservation in Druid Hills

1938 – Druid Hills Civic Association is founded.

1966 – National Historic Preservation Act is passed by Congress.

1975 – Ponce de Leon Parks and Parkway is listed on National Register of Historic Places. The historic core of the Emory University campus also is listed on National Register.

1979 – The original 1,400 acres of Druid Hills is listed on National Register, incorporating Parks and Parkway listing into one District.

1982 – Druid Hills is designated an HCC (Historic and Cultural Conservation) District by the City of Atlanta with two sub-areas: Ponce de Leon Avenue and Fairview Road. Cameron Court is listed on National Register, too.

1989 – Comprehensive Atlanta Historic Preservation Act is passed. Therefore the HCC District became a Landmark District, which is the highest form of protection because of the number of criteria met.

1994 – DeKalb County passes historic preservation legislation.

1996 – Druid Hills Local Historic District is designated by DeKalb County.

1998 – University Park-Emory Highlands-Emory Estates is listed on National Register.

2000 – Emory Grove listed on National Register

2001 – A third sub-area is added to City Landmark District: Springdale, Oakdale, and Lullwater Roads and Lullwater Parkway.

2003 – Briarcliff Normandy Apartments are listed on the National Register.

National Register of Historic Places Documentation and Maps

Historic Preservation in Druid Hills/City of Atlanta

Historic Preservation in Druid Hills/DeKalb County

CONTACT US

DRUID HILLS CIVIC ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 323, Decatur, GA 30031

mail@druidhills.org
druidhills.org

©2016 Druid Hills Civic Association.  | Druid Hills Civic Association, Inc. is a Georgia non-profit corporation. 

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software